Saturday, January 18, 2014

DAY IN THE CITY

Yesterday I spent a full day roaming the city with my friend Teke, who had come down to NYC to visit for a couple of days.  It was completely unplanned; I had no idea he was visiting until he tweeted the day before yesterday.  I tweeted back, and yesterday he invited me out to the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art) and we spent the whole day together!

After perusing the museum for a couple of hours, we then hopped on the subway down to the East Village to grab pizza for dinner.  We then walked around, and I saw the e.l.f. store, so I stopped in and bought a couple of things (haul post coming within the next couple of days, don't worry!).  We then walked all the way up from St. Mark's up to 34th street, stopping along the way to rest at a Starbucks to recharge and relax a tad.  Then, we walked up to Grand Central at 42nd to check out this fancy bar (which we ended up not going to because it had a dress code, which meant $$$).  Lots of walking!!

We then ended up going back down to the East Village, where we finally decided on a bar called St. Dymphnas Pub, where we had a couple of drinks each and ended the night.

What a great day!!  I felt like a true twenty-something New Yorker, running around and spending good times with friends.

xxTanya





I just wanted to take a moment to talk about this piece.  It was about a 30 minute "meditation on space and time" as the artist put it, and it was absolutely lovely.  It was a room with five projections on the walls and a breathing machine, also called an "elephant," in the middle of the room.  With surround sound, the sound and projections all interacted with each other to create a super interesting, almost interactive, video and sound piece.  The projections ranged from video, to recordings of other projections, videos of him drawing, and stop motion charcoal drawings.

Kentridge is from Johannasburg in South Africa, so his piece was rife with race politics and black themes, though some went over my head.  I did enjoy the work, however, and felt like I got the overall feeling that he was trying to present.

One of my favorite parts was there were chairs placed in the room.  However, you could not move the chairs, therefore every person was watching the piece in a different way.  Along with that, if you were sitting in a group of chairs with someone you didn't know, you had to somewhat interact with that person in the sense you were somewhat in their personal space.  It was an interesting addition to an already great piece.

If you have a chance to stop by the MET, I would definitely recommend checking this out.  It's in the contemporary arts section on the third floor, I believe.

 
One of my favorite sculptures, "Ugolino and His Sons."  I drew this in high school for a paper.





 
We stopped by Shake Shack to get our bearings.  The wifi didn't really work.


 

youtube // tumblr // lookbook.nu // twitter // bloglovin 

No comments:

Post a Comment