Wednesday, March 12, 2014

OLYMPICS IN REVIEW

So, the Olympics are over!  I know this post is late, but I haven't been able to find time to really focus on it until now.  But, wow, weren't the olympics awesome?  This is the first year I watched away from home and it worked out pretty well!

I was mostly only able to watch in the evenings due to class and work, so I only really saw the primetime and what was considered okay for prime time (no curling, sadly).  Therefore, I watched boatloads of ice skating, almost to the point where it began to bore me a bit.  I also watched the snowboarding, some skiing, and the biathlon.  Still don't know where the concept of the biathlon came from.  So, I figured since I enjoyed watching the olympics so much, I would do a little post talking about my favorite athletes and moments!

The thing that made an impact on me the most was ice skating/dancing, since I watched that the most.  I definitely had favorite teams and competitions.

I loved the Russia skating pair of Tatyana Volosozhar and Maxsim Trankov.  Their dances were always devine, their skill fantastic, and their connection palpable!  I loved watching them skate.  None of the videos of the actual performances are on youtube right now, but as soon as they are I recommend checking them out if you didn't see them!

Of course, I loved Meryl Davis and Charlie White.  They absolutely stole the show with their wonderful skating.  I think that the NBC commentators kind of beat a dead horse with their continuous mentioning of how long the two of them had been partners, but I think it's really cute that they had been skating together for that long.  Their ice dancing performances were by far my favorite!



The rest of the skaters were absolutely lovely.  Kim Yu-Na was elegant, Evegni Plushenko was powerful and stunning.  My friend Janet's favorites, French duo Nathalie Péchalat and Fabian Bourzat, definitely put on a fantastic show.  The Canadian duo Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were also absolutely lovely.  Overall, amazing!


Last but not least, I just had to mention the cutie that is Iouri Podladchikov in snowboarding.  Shawn White was talked up so much this olympics due to his performance four years ago, though his reign is now over.  Iouri was adorable when he won, talking non-stop about how much he admired and loved Shawn White (so much so, NBC cut him off in the middle of fangirling during an interview).  He was absolutely amazing, and totally deserved the gold.

I absolutely love the olympics.  It kept me from doing certian things, like watching certain TV shows or films or reading, but it only ever happens every two years so I think it's worth it.  I can't wait for the 2016 summer olympics!

xxTanya


No comments:

Post a Comment