Sunday, March 2, 2014

SENIOR THESIS UPDATE // PLANNING

Finally, I'm going to be able to talk about my Senior Thesis!  My thesis is literally all that is on my mind currently, and while it's stressful, it's extremely rewarding.  My biggest problem currently was trying to figure out how to start creating actual pieces.

I finally came to the conclusion drawing was my best bet, rather than trying to incorporate printmaking techniques for every piece.  I may end up doing a couple more prints if I have time, but we shall see.  It's been so long since I've done finished drawings it's going to be hard getting back in to the grove of creating things that aren't sketches.

To get all my ideas in order, I created this portable planning "board."  I've included all my sketches, compositional ideas, and notes regarding "pairing" prints (meaning prints that look somewhat alike to make the audience aware of similar ideas).  I've figure out the final amount of pieces as well: nineteen!  Most of them aren't going to be too big though, and I draw fast, so I'm sure I'll be fine.

I've included some detail shots of each section of the board, as I know the top photo isn't super clear in terms of each little sketch.  If you have any questions or want more detail shots, just let me know in the comments!




Along with planning, I actually have been starting to create, though not at the level I'd like at this point.  Below is the almost final piece that I've been calling Him, which is a litho print.  I plan on adding some color of some sort in the form of screen printing or watercolor.

The next two sketches are the bases for the final two Discovery pieces.  This is what I was talking about in terms of mirroring.  Both discoveries of the fact Max is trans take place at two different times and places in the stories, but both are the same idea, and cause the same reaction within Max.  Therefore, the audience is able to draw that conclusion with just the presentation of the images without any text to help them along.

I hope you enjoyed seeing a bit of my process!  I aim to do a senior thesis update post a week, therefore hopefully pushing me in to creating a bit more so I have some content!

xxTanya




No comments:

Post a Comment