Sunday, February 23, 2014

SENIOR THESIS RESEARCH // COMICS!


Hey everyone!

As you may or may not know, I've been working my butt off on my senior thesis project!  Up until the opening of the gallery May 3rd, the only art I'll be creating (or have time to create) will be for my thesis. 

For my thesis, I'm making an illustrative narrative (which I'm sure I'll go in to more depth about soon enough) and what better than to do some comic research!  My works aren't going to be graphic novel style per-say, but it gives me a better idea of what is necessary to tell a story through imagery and symbolism.  

These are the five books I got out of the library so far (I didn't even look at that many shelves, there were so many!).  With the exception of Amy Tan, who I started reading over break but never finished, the other four are absolutely stunning graphic novels.

What I checked out //
Waltz With Bashir: A Lebanon War Story by Ari Folman and David Polonsky
Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey by GB Tran
Habibi by Craig Thompson
The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan
Road to Perdition by Max Allan Collins, Illustrated by Richard Piers Rayner





These three are absolutely stunningly gorgeous graphic novels, two of which I've heard of before and had a desire to check out.  I've heard of Waltz With Bashir before and couldn't place it until I did a little google search: It's actually an animated film!  The comic is based on the style of the film.  Now I have yet another to add to my 'to watch' list.  It was a super quick read, and very emotional.  I definitely recommend it.

I've also heard of Habibi before and even was tempted to buy it a couple of years ago, just so I could.  It's a famous graphic novel and I can't wait to check it out!  The boyf is also excited about reading this one.

Vietnamerica is the one I'm currently reading, and it's really lovely.  It tells a story I would never have known, through gorgeous illustration and color.  The way that comics can tell stories in a quick and visceral way is their selling point.  The medium is completely different from any other type of storytelling.



These last two books I'm currently borrowing from the boyf and my professor.  These are more about the actual act of drawing the comics rather than studying the way others do it.  The Noir Comics book is the one I've glanced through at this point and it's really nice.  It talks a lot about composition, use of line, and lights and darks especially, in true noir style.  I've actually been debating buying that one myself since it's so interesting, and I've always been into noir style.

Understanding Comics is about every aspect of drawing and reading comics, from placement of panels, the script and type, composition, and on and on.  I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to look at that one, but I will soon enough.

I hope you enjoyed this little look in to what I've been reading recently!  I'm a big reader, but it's super hard while at school because of schoolwork, actual work, and the fact you just want to relax on your computer after a long day.  I need to start reading before bed!

xxTanya

No comments:

Post a Comment